No resolutions this year. I know what needs to be done, I know what I want to do and making a list won’t help me accomplish anything other than making yet another list to add to the plethora of lists I’ve made every year for decades.
Plethora. I’ve always liked that word, although I have never personally had a plethora of piñatas.
Anyway, so instead of a resolution list, I’m going to make a list of things I’ve learned over the past year. Yes, I will still be adding to my abundance of lists but at least this one is different. Some items will make sense only to me, some will be depressing and I have no doubt that most of them will be pop-culture related.
So, let’s get on with it.
- I have learned that the following are cool: Bow-ties, Fezzes and Stetson hats
- I have learned that people will believe any lie put before them if it affirms their fears
- I have learned that the only Tea Party worth paying attention to occurs in Wonderland
- I have learned that gold is not a good skin tone for Peter Cushing
- I have learned that Star Trek: Enterprise got a lot better after it’s first season
- I have learned that Pecan Pie is good for the soul
- I have learned that the Harry Potter books stay good, no matter how many times I read them
- I have learned that putting your faith in others’ intelligence and reasoning will only lead to great disappointment
- I have learned that Wil Wheaton is a very funny individual and that his pets are freakin’ hilarious
- I have learned that none of my family reads my blog
- I have learned that the first Doctor was awesome and that Ian and Barbara are now in my top five favorite companions, third to Donna Noble and Ace
- I have learned that Amy Pond is my least favorite companion and I sincerely hope she’s gone before Matt Smith finishes his run as the Doctor
- I have learned that despite it’s rather weak last episode, Lost was still one of the best shows ever produced
- I have learned that Danny Kaye was a pain in the ass to work with but that I still love watching and listening to him
- I have learned that when it comes to growing flowers, my gardening skills are sorely lacking
- I have learned that I like Hydrangeas quite a bit
- I have learned that putting a bird bath in the middle of your garden will cut down on the number of nasty bugs on your plants
- I have learned that Craig Ferguson is the coolest late night talk show host ever
- I have learned that Timothy Dalton as Mr. Pricklepants equals true genius
- I have learned that Spider and Scorpion does not update often enough
- I have learned that watching a meteor shower with my husband is now one of my favorite things to do
- I have learned that I still do not like Jonah Hill and don’t understand why Apatow (or anyone else, for that matter) continues to cast him in movies
- I have learned that I can lose hours of a day playing Roller Coaster Tycoon
- I have learned that J.J. Abrams relies on lens flares WAY too much
- I have learned that you apparently never stop missing your favorite Kitty
- I have learned that no one but my husband gets my Eurotrip references
- I have learned that no one but my husband gets me, which is why I love him so much
- I have learned that my tolerance for people is at an all-time low
- I have learned that I find physics difficult to learn
- I have learned that my grasp of World Geography is shaky at best
- I have learned that some movies/mini-series are MUCH better than the books upon which they’re based (North and South trilogy)
I’m sure there are things missing from this list – I certainly hope so, anyway – but that’s all I could think of for now. My memory isn’t what it used to be…which is another thing I learned this year.